Most people have things they’re allergic to. For the most part, these allergies cause mild reactions like rashes or sneezing, but for some people, allergies can require hospital treatment and can even be life-threatening. For more information about allergies and how you can prevent allergic reactions to topical ointments, visit the CUROXEN website.
Here are nine facts about allergies that might surprise you:
- When you’re allergic to something, your immune system produces antibodies to fight the allergen, even though it is not necessarily a harmful substance. One of these antibodies is called immunoglobulin E (IgE) and causes the body to produce histamine. Too much histamine in the body is what leads to the allergic reaction, such as rashes, sneezing , etc.
- Children are more likely to have allergies than adults. They will often outgrow their allergies as they get older. Boys are more likely than girls to have allergies.
- Children are more likely to have allergies to food, whereas adults are more likely to be allergic to medications.
- Allergies can cause symptoms such as hives, rashes, itching, conjunctivitis, facial swelling, wheezing and anaphylaxis. Allergic reactions should be brought to the attention of your doctor, particularly if the reaction is severe. In the case of anaphylaxis, you will need to call 911 immediately.
- It’s estimated that approximately one in every five people in the U.S. has an allergy, which equates to around 50 million people.
- Allergies can disappear, only to reappear years later.
- Allergies cost the U.S. more than $18 billion each year, and are sixth on the list of causes of chronic illnesses.
- You are more at risk from allergies if you’re a child, have asthma, or have a family history of allergies.
- Allergens can enter the body in several ways, either inhaled (like dust mites and pollen), ingested (drugs, food and water), absorbed through the skin by touch or application, or injected into the bloodstream (medications and insect bites or stings).
If you’re looking for all-natural health products that are non-allergenic, find out more about CUROXEN, an organic topical ointment for wound care that won’t cause an allergic reaction.